MS Project Tuva

Nobel physicist Richard Feynman was one of the 20th century's greatest scientific geniuses - can Microsoft get users to think like him (as they watch him in action), and create a new educational video platform in the process?

Hi, I'm Curtis Wong, Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research and one of the creators of Project Tuva. We're really happy to have our work featured again in NSF's Media & Informal Science Learning website, and hope this discussion will lead to useful feedback for us, as well as to new potential collaborations/partnerships for us as we continue to expand the use of Tuva for education and science. Feel free to email me with your ideas. Thanks!

Mar 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Curtis, I have heard of these Feynman lectures for most of my life and to finally get to see them all in full on your website was a big thrill. It is a great service you are doing to offer these films to the general public. To see the man in action as he explains the universe with a Rockaway accent is a treasure.

Mar 16, 2010 06:30 pm

Curtis, I want to echo Ben--I love these lectures and feel you are off to a very strong start using them as a springboard to a new way of viewing educational video. I had one small suggestion about the interface. I didn't realize the first time I used the app that I had to "export" my notes in order to save them, and as a result, when I came back to the app a second time, I found my notes gone--I thought that when I "add"ed a note, that saved them. Maybe the "Export" button should be relabeled "Save/Export"? Or something.

Mar 17, 2010 09:52 am

Great stuff, Curtis. You mentioned in the write-up that Microsoft is trying to figure out how to expand on Tuva to cover other content. Is there a WIYSIWYG tool set already available for Tuva that would allow institutions (or even just ordinary users) to use Tuva as a platform for their own videos? Or is this something that would have to be developed? Seems like this might be the fastest way to get distribution, with some basic toolset that's available for free, and maybe a Pro version people have to pay for.

Mar 18, 2010 09:09 am

Curtis--

I like the way you're letting users add their own content, in the form of notes, to the videos. Are there any plans to let them add their own "extras" as well?

Mar 22, 2010 06:52 pm

Curtis--Building on something Peter said, what about letting people share their notes with the community at large, in a community-wide library, and letting other people download them, use them, rate them, edit and re-upload them to the library? This could be a way to let the community work together towards an ideal set of notes for each lecture. Kudos on what you've created so far!

Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am

Great questions! I will try to answer them here below: Grunwald- Excellent suggestion about letting the community post notes, rate them and share them. I wanted to do this but the limited time frame we had to do build this (4 months) and we didn't have the resources to build out the community aspects of this which would make it richer by crowdsourcing user notes and building a rating system. Parkermi - We are trying to see if we can create a solution that would allow people and organizations to have this kind of capability. Stay tuned! NHermes - Sorry about how the notes worked for you but it is supposed so save by default in your cache unless you have security settings to prevent that. Saving notes is a good idea so that you can share it but they should be saved by default. Can you try anding a note, quitting and the loading Tuva again to see if it appears? Hillman - Thanks for the comments! Some of the accent and emphasis was for performance to make the material more accessible to that audience but it definitely made it fun.

Mar 24, 2010 02:53 pm